Gulf of Mexico

Gulf of Mexico
It's A Beautiful World...Be Healthy So You Can Enjoy It!

Saturday, July 26, 2014

You Are What You Eat


One of the best things you can do for yourself is eat fresh, local produce. 
I know some of you will say "I can't afford that!" I used to say that when I got all my produce from grocery stores.
But look a little further...online, look up U-pick and find local farms in your area. Or, if you live in a city, ask about farmer's markets. 
I bought these beautiful peaches at a local farm stand. Yes, I can get them at the grocery store, but look at the little label. From other countries, often. Or far away states. Which means there are probably more chemicals involved in keeping them fresh for market. The closer to your home you buy your food, the fresher and tastier it will be. 
Case in point - tomatoes. I'm still dreaming of the tomatoes I picked warm off the vine in my Daddy Dale's amazing garden.  Popping cherry tomatoes in my mouth seconds after I picked them. Wow- flavor explosion! Grocery tomatoes stopped tasting like tomatoes a long, long time ago.
Of course if you can grow them yourself, that is ideal - you say you don't have space? Gardening in raised gardens can yield high crops with minimal effort. Pots of fresh herbs and veggies can thrive on patios. It just takes some effort. 

I'm in the process of putting up a bushel of fresh, just picked local sweet corn. $14 for a bushel, and we are enjoying ears so sweet you don't need to add a thing. Corn chowder is next. Then the rest is flash frozen after a quick boil and ice bath. A lot of work? Sure - one days work will lead to many delicious meals, and peace of mind that I am feeding my family the best, freshest option. 
I'm no expert here - I'm just trying to get healthier.  I would eventually like to start canning. 
So where do you start? Use that internet! Find local farms, and support them. Eat fresh produce when it is in season, and put it up by canning or freezing. I'm at the beginning of this journey - I have  1/2 a side of local beef, 20 pounds of blueberries my family picked, 5 lbs of zipper peas, and fresh corn in my freezer. I have local honey and jam in my pantry. 
It makes a difference - to your health, to the local economy, and to combat the processed food industry. 
Eat clean.  It'll do a body good!
e b e r 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, but all comments will be moderated for suitability!