Gulf of Mexico

Gulf of Mexico
It's A Beautiful World...Be Healthy So You Can Enjoy It!

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Listen to Your Body

One of the earliest messages I received during Jeff Galloway half marathon training has become a mantra. 

Listen to your body. 

What does that mean? 

Well I'm week one back into training. I'm enthusiastic, I have a plan, I know what I was capable of last round. So I want to go go go!

The other fact is I've not been running regularly for months due to my lower back issues. 

This morning for some reason my back was starting to ache.

I listened, and completed the program walking.

I still walked 5 miles, but it wasn't the run/walk endurance builder I wanted. 

My goal when I started exercising for my health were these: have fun, and don't get hurt. 

Notice personal record, fastest 40-something, etc are not there. 

My body has limitations. If I ignore them I could injure myself - temporarily. Or permanently. 

Exercise is too important to me. It has changed my life for the better.  Having goals of half marathons has gotten me up and moving my and I am a different person. 

It's easy to get caught up in the excitement, but I focused on staying healthy today. 

I focused on my posture - incorrect posture can really mess with your run, no matter who you are. 

I also concentrated on my breathing. So important, and often overlooked. I want my lungs working to the max. 

Because I didn't have to work as hard, I looked at the flowers, the birds, enjoyed the slightly cooler weather. 



I counted my blessings - literally. 

So while my time wasn't what I hoped for, today still moved me forward to a healthier me.

And my back isn't hurting! 

e b e r

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, but all comments will be moderated for suitability!