Gulf of Mexico

Gulf of Mexico
It's A Beautiful World...Be Healthy So You Can Enjoy It!

Friday, July 25, 2014

Where Do You Go?

Where do you go when you are stressed out? What is your "go to"? 
By the picture above you can see where I want to go. 
For most of my life I was unhealthy. But skinny.  So I could go to the pastry and ice cream and candy and sweets when I was stressed out. I never gained an ounce. I didn't work out and I still had a "healthy weight". I was slender. So for almost thirty years, I dealt with stress by comforting myself with food. I met societal body expectations, but boy was I unhealthy!
Then, slowly, I began to add weight. About 10 pounds per decade. I certainly didn't exercise! So four years ago when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I was overweight. Not obese, but I was not happy with my habitus. 
Now I read up on diabetes. As a nurse I knew the long term risks associated, but now I was a patient. 
I have drastically changed my diet over the last four years. Fortunately I love vegetables and drink lots of water. 
But...all those years of going after food for comfort have done me no favors. 
I still want to go to junk food when I am stressed. I have eaten things j shouldn't - two days ago I had a chocolate milk shake. And my blood sugar two hours later was through the roof. 
The point if this blog is this - examine where you go to handle stress. I'm trying to convert to going to exercise when I am stressed. Even a walk and listening to music. 
It takes time. 
Are you going to food? Smoking? Drinking? Other harmful things? 
I'm asking you to examine where you go...and purpose to change it if it's not making you healthier. 
It takes time...and it starts with looking at your coping mechanisms with honesty. 
Then, if you find they are harmful, change them. One day at a time. 
e b e r

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, but all comments will be moderated for suitability!