Gulf of Mexico

Gulf of Mexico
It's A Beautiful World...Be Healthy So You Can Enjoy It!

Friday, September 12, 2014

Out Eating

Oh, yes, I am a foodie. A food snob, sometimes. An adventurous palate has me wanting to try new cuisine on a regular basis!
The diabetes and not wanting unwanted side effects make me think about everything I eat. Every. Single. Bite. 
So go with me out to eat - I do it a lot. 
First of all, I drink water. Not a lot, though! Drinking volumes of water with meals is a mistake. You dilute your stomach acids and ability to digest. Drink water all day- limit dinner beverages. 
I skip the bread. Kill me. Former carb addict now just says no. I will occasionally make exceptions if the meal is super low carb - but usually I pass on the bread basket.  
First up from this weekend at Walt Disney World (WDW) is seafood curry from Yak and Yeti. Mmmm. Wish I could smell it again! Fresh seafood - yes! Rice- oh, only a little but it was soooo good in that coconut milk broth. So limit the carb, eat the fresh veggies and seafood. 
This was Chris' dish, and I had a rib, and a bite of slaw.  The slaw was vinegar based, so I could have eaten more. Fresh cabbage- yes! Rice, again no. 
Now to Morocco in WDW - pita sliders. Tabouli- fresh yum! Lentils- for me, in moderation but yum! Hummus - I adore but will make my sugars go up so I out some on the whole wheat pitas. One had lamb, one had veggies, and one had falafel. I'm not a big falafel fan so I didn't eat that one. Lots of fresh veggies insider the other two , so it was a good choice - high in fiber and taste!  
And then there was this guy...
Ginormous carrot cake cup cake. I took off the candy head - didn't eat it. I cut a third of it off with a knife - and relished every single bite, and licked the knife clean! You have to treat yourself occasionally or you will go crazy. I'm much less likely to stray if I get an occasional treat. Make it worth the calories! If it doesn't taste good, stop! Don't waste your time and daily allowance on tasteless calories!
We were also walking an average of 9 miles a day. Yes, you read that right. So that helped me maintain my blood sugars in healthy range. 
Just a snapshot of eating out - pick fresh, healthy foods. Limit unhealthy or calorie high (or for diabetic me carb high) components. Give yourself a treat. 
You can be healthy and still have a healthy love of food! 
e b e r

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, but all comments will be moderated for suitability!