Gulf of Mexico

Gulf of Mexico
It's A Beautiful World...Be Healthy So You Can Enjoy It!

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Cold Turkey

Hello, my name is EBER and I am a sugar addict. 
Oh yes, I know this does not jive with my diabetes diagnosis. I'm well aware, as my blood sugar readings tell me...along with the feelings of nausea, dizziness, and exhaustion. My brain understands logically that every blood sugar over 130 is physically damaging to me. 
It's a long standing love affair. 
The sugar rush of comfort has been my go to for most of my life. When I was stressed out, it was cheese Danish time. Or cookies. Or a huge soda. Ice cream. Brownies. Stop. STOP!
It's not a healthy self comforter. I know this, and I always knew it - but I never have eaten anything to excess. I wasn't the whole row of Oreos girl. But I will eat some Oreos! I'd eat ice cream, but a few bites. I'm not a binger. 
These are the excuses I gave myself. When I was a young person, my slender frame belied my eating habits. 
As the decades added up, so did the pounds - about a pound a year. By middle age I was overweight, and diagnosed with diabetes. 
It's hard to kick 4 decades of bad habits. Especially when they taste so good!
I have had short periods of sugar eating decreased. Just a treat here and there. But slowly, insidiously, the occasional became the regular. Only now, I'm having immediate physical consequences. 
Oh don't read this and think you are immune from sugar and its negative effects. Read this: 

http:///articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/09/02/fructose-affects-brain-health.aspx
 
If that doesn't convince you, how about this article from Neurology:

http://www.neurology.org/content/63/4/E9.full

I though bread would be my nemesis. Alas, no - I have eliminated it with nary a backwards glance. It's the drug induced effects of sugar that have me in their grips. 
There is only one thing to do. Go cold turkey.
Say what?
You heard me. My sugar addled mind must be cleared of the poison. Not little by little, but all at once. Now. TODAY!
Lawd help me. Seriously. 
I've already found recipes for thanksgiving to replace the sugar laden ones. 
This is long over due, and the sugar addiction won't go down without a fight. 
One day at a time. 
e b e r



1 comment:

I love feedback, but all comments will be moderated for suitability!