Gulf of Mexico

Gulf of Mexico
It's A Beautiful World...Be Healthy So You Can Enjoy It!

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Turning The Corner

It doesn't happen overnight, but it happens...
Often as I am reading posts on my FitBit support groups on Facebook, the newbies will ask "when are things going to change?" It's the crystal ball question. At work, where I am a labor and delivery nurse, it is like when the patient asks when will the baby be born. I would be rich if I could figure that out. I don't know when - I just know it will happen. 
When you take a middle aged adult like myself and go from couch potato to deciding to become healthy, it is a process. A long process. 
I used to HATE exercising. I liked doing the machines at the gym, but I HATED cardio. Yawn. Dreadmill. Running was torture. Much whining ensued. 
As far as my diet, I was a comfort eater with a fast metabolism. I never got over 200lbs at 5'10", even with my high carb, soda guzzling ways. I did love veggies and did not eat a lot of junk - I've never been a binger. I certainly have eaten my share of bad foods.
Then four years ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.  Suddenly all the excuses I had lived off of vaporized in the reality of a future that was in my hands. I needed to make some changes, or bad health outcomes loomed down the road. 
I started walking 5k a day.  I got a dog to help motivate me out the door. I stopped drinking soda, and quit bringing junk food into the house.
Four years later, 11 half marathons, a 15k, 5 10k's, and a bunch of 5ks later...here I am. Resting heart rate down to 70 from 107. Down 30 pounds. Down to a size 8 from a 14. Down to small scrub bottoms. 
So do I love exercise? I need it. Something has changed over the last four years. I've gone from whining to longing. No kidding! I have been on reduced activity due to a very jacked up back, and it's been hard to stay down! I have been slowly increasing my activity - safely. I'm heading back to the gym to work on my core. I have started doing stairs again. My steps are increasing again. 
I used to dread it - now I feel like something is missing. I wouldn't go a day without brushing my teeth or showering - and I don't like going a day without doing something active, and without eating healthy. 
When did I turn the corner? I'm not sure exactly. But I DID turn the corner. 
The reason for this is because being healthy is a lifestyle. I have never considered myself on a diet. Instead, I want to take the best care of me that I can - no one else is responsible for me. Diets are doomed because they are unrealistic and punishing.  A healthy lifestyle comes with rewards.  It doesn't happen overnight, but it DOES happen. 
So get up tomorrow and start again. Set short term goals - daily at first. Every day is a chance to start again. Set your sights on being the healthiest you. 
I went to the doctor yesterday and stepped in the scale for the first time in a while - I was down 3 pounds from last weigh in. I just smiled and shrugged. 
I know I feel better when I am eating healthy whole foods and when I'm exercising. Some days are better than others. I know that. I still eat foods I probably shouldn't...but it's becoming less and less often. I don't belittle or hate on myself. I just start the next day with healthy living goals. 
I've got a 10k in a couple of weeks. I'm really looking forward to it. 
One day at a time. 
Be patient with yourself!


e b e r

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, but all comments will be moderated for suitability!