Gulf of Mexico

Gulf of Mexico
It's A Beautiful World...Be Healthy So You Can Enjoy It!

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Alternatives for White Food

If you have ever endeavored to change to a healthier lifestyle, one of the first things it seems everyone will tell you to get rid off is white food. 
White sugar. White floor. White rice. White potatoes. 
If you, like me, were raised on all that, this is not an easy - or instant - task. I am still having my battles with refined sugar, my former drug of choice. 
As a diabetic, the call to get rid of white food becomes more urgent, as basically all white food is carbohydrate laden. Ugh!
The first change I made is I stopped eating rice. I loooove white rice, and it was a slow and painful release. A serving size is a mere 1/3 a cup.  I can eat 2 cups in a few minutes - and I would if I could. I can't. So white rice went adios. 
Wild rice is okay - I'm not wild about it, but I will eat it. It doesn't do a lot for me so it's in the rotation infrequently. 
Pasta I love - and hallelujah for "Dreamfields" brand pasta! A serving - a real, adult sized serving - is only 5 net carbs! When any other regular pasta is 45 net carbs.  Wheat pasta is an option, but it is gritty and gross, in my opinion. Dreamfields tastes great and has a normal texture.
My most recent discovery is this wonder, and it cost me less than $12. A spiralizer - it takes raw veggies and turns them into long pasta like coils. Amazing! Now a zucchini can be my "pasta", and there are no carbs to mess with! The options are exciting and I have just begun. It is a fresh and quick alternative, and a way to eat more veggies. Win! I made spiralizer zucchini with pesto sauce and fresh shrimp tonight. The whole dish took under 15 minutes, and is bright and delicious! 
So enjoy the picture of my first spiralizer dish, and check out the gadget for yourself!

e b e r



Kitchen Basics® Spiral Vegetable Slicer - Stainless Steel Vegetable Spiralizer with Quality Sharp Japanese Blades - 2 Julienne Sizes / Design vegetable stir-fries or pasta dishes / Decorate serving dishes by F&W
Kitchen Basics® Spiral Vegetable Slicer - Stainless Steel Vegetable Spiralizer with Quality Sharp Japanese Blades - 2 Julienne Sizes / Design vegetable stir-fries or pasta dishes / Decorate serving dishes 
by F&W 
Link: http://amzn.com/B00H4F9LXG

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, but all comments will be moderated for suitability!