Gulf of Mexico

Gulf of Mexico
It's A Beautiful World...Be Healthy So You Can Enjoy It!

Thursday, December 15, 2016

Mind Over...Everything

This weekend I ran half marathon number 17 in Atlanta, Georgia. I had no idea the starting temperature would include a wind chill of 23 degrees. I had no idea Atlanta is one. Big. Hill. I had no idea that many of the miles would be run on tilted roads, straining my ankles. I was mentally prepared for the cold. I knew I could have trained more, but I went forth with the two goals I always have - have fun, and finish upright. It was a rough race. Then I let go and just...ran. I looked at the beautiful cityscapes that are foreign to me. I took in the beautiful houses at the top of the race course. I crunched through the leaves, glancing up at the beauty of scarlet fall leaves shimmering in the cold wind. I smiled as I ran past the dog park, laughing at the joyous romping of the city dogs on their patch of nature. I turned my mind away from the pain, the cold, the repetition of putting one foot in front of the other, and turned it toward soaking in my surroundings. Before I knew it, I was done. Mind over matter...over cold that lasted just that one day. Over pain in my ankles, straining on the road. Over thoughts of quitting, or not finishing. It starts before the race. It never ends. Every moment I have choices that directly effect my health. What I eat...or don't eat. Whether I get up and out and exercise. How much water I drink, versus less healthy choices. My attitude, and how it effects my stress level...which effects my health. Mind over everything that matters. That's what it comes down to. e b e r

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, but all comments will be moderated for suitability!